Monday, July 27, 2020

Weekly Nadex Commentary - August 27-31



Will  Gold Hit $2,000 this Week?

Weekly Bias:
  • Gold: Bullish
  • EUR/USD: Bullish
  • GBP/USD: Bullish
  • USD/JPY: Bearish
  • USD/CHF: Bearish


The markets closed below the T-Line last week, signalling a potential downturn in the market after an extended run-up. The US Stock indices are too flat right now to call a reversal or signal a continued run to the upside. My bias is neutral for now.

Gold, on the other hand, is continuing it's run toward $2,000. As of Monday morning, Gold was trading around $1,940, if it continues its upward trajectory, it's quite possible that the elusive $2,000 target could be hit this week.


Gold prices are traveling on a very steep uptrend, and showing no sign of reversal.

Last week, we had a bullish outlook on Gold, and I see no reason to buck the trend. My opinion on Gold is Bullish. 

When the markets opened Monday Morning, Gold was traveling around $1,966 before dipping around mid morning.

Using Nadex as my guide, I formulated the following opinion:

Gold prices will settle above $1,996.50 by Friday at 1:30pm ET when the Gold Markets close.

Click on Charts to Enlarge

So I clicked on the Weekly Binary Options contracts for Gold, and selected the > 1966.5 Strike Price. Here are the contract details:
Contract: BUY  Gold (Dec) >1966.5
Contract Expiry: Weekly: Expires on Friday, July 31 at 1:30PM ET
Number of Contracts: 5
Price: $43.8
Maximum Risk: $43.80 per contract traded = $219 (plus exchange fees)
Maximum Reward: $56.20 per contract traded = $281 (less exchange fees)

I will monitor this trade throughout the week, and publish trade results..

Trade Results

With over four days remaining in this trade, I have three options:
  1. Take an Early Profit - If Gold prices continue to skyrocket upward, I can opt to exit the trade and lock in profits. Nothing wrong with that.
  2. Exit Early to Minimize Losses - If the trade moves sharply against me, I can also exit the trade to minimize losses. I might consider this if my losses hover around 50 percent of capital risked (-$110)
  3. Set it and Forget it - Let the trade ride until Expiration. - I'm okay with losing $219 if the trade goes against me. This uptrend looks good. I'm all in for a $281 reward. Come on, Gold at $2,000!
Update: Tuesday, July 28

In the overnight hours, Gold briefly touched $2,000, and then got "Monkeyhammered", according to a tweet from Zerohedge.



On Tuesday morning, Gold started to rebound. The question is whether Gold will re-test the 2,000 level or whether it will sell-off from current levels.

When I grabbed my screen shot this morning, this trade was down $110, right at where I was considering stopping-out. As I continue to update this post the trade is now down only $49.

There are over 3 days remaining in this trade. I'm going to stay in and see what happens for the meantime.

Tuesday, July 28 - Trade Exited for Modest Profit of $80


In a discussion with Stephen Bigalow about this trade, Steve pointed out that a long-legged Doji had formed in overbought territory, signalling a potential reversal in Gold.

This trade was already up $80, out of the maximum $281 reward possible. In this trade, I opted to exit the trade and lock in a sure profit.

Try Nadex Today, Risk-Free

What I like about Nadex the most is that every trade has capped risk that is known in advance before you place your trade. That's huge in these days of extreme market volatility. It's impossible for a trade to run away from you. No margin calls.

If you're curious about trading with Nadex, download their free demo here. Your account will be funded with $10,000 in play money and you can practice trading with defined risk.

You can fund a Nadex account for as little as $250. Nadex is available for traders in 41 countries.